Jason Pullman

 
Jason Pullman

Photos of padlocked doors where abductor held women hostage for more than a decade...chilling.

Son of 'abductor' reveals how father padlocked doors to basement, attic and garage because 'we weren't allowed to go there'

  • Photos show Ariel Castro in front of padlocked doors to the basement
  • Son Anthony, 31, revealed how his father would beat him and once nearly beat his mother to death as she recovered from brain surgery
  • Expressed his shock at the kidnappings and said they had no idea women were hidden behind the doors they were forbidden from opening
  • But said his sister believes their father was capable of the crimes
  • Just three weeks ago, Castro asked his son whether he thought police would ever find one of the victims, Amanda Berry

By MICHAEL ZENNIE IN COLUMBUS, OHIO

Ariel Castro padlocked the doors leading to his basement, his attic and his garage and never allowed his family inside, his son has exclusively revealed to MailOnline.

Chilling photographs from 2001 show a grinning Castro, who is accused of holding three women captive for a decade, standing in front of a locked door - behind which unimaginable horrors may have been unfolding in the basement.

By that point, one of his alleged victims, Michele Knight, had already been missing for a year.

In an interview with MailOnline, his son Anthony Castro, 31, has spoken of his shock at his father's alleged crimes and revealed how Ariel Castro asked him just weeks ago whether he believed the kidnapping of Amanda Berry - one of his victims - would ever be solved.

'If it's true that he took her captive and forced her into having sex with him and having his child and keeping her hidden and keeping them from sunlight, he really took those girls' lives,' he said.

Signs: In a photograph taken in 2001, suspect Ariel Castro stands with a former girlfriend in front of a padlocked door, which led to the basement, at his home on Seymore Avenue, Cleveland

Signs: In a photograph taken in 2001, suspect Ariel Castro stands with a former girlfriend in front of a padlocked door, which led to the basement, at his home on Seymore Avenue, Cleveland

'He doesn't deserve to have his own life anymore. He deserves to be behind bars for the rest of her life. I'm just thankful they're alive.'

Among his infrequent contact with his father, who separated from his mother in the 1990s, one recent conversation particularly stands out in Anthony's mind.

In mid-April, he says, his father asked him whether he thought police would ever find Amanda Berry, who escaped the Cleveland home on Monday afternoon.

When Anthony said he thought Berry was likely dead because she had been missing so long, Ariel responded: 'Really? You think so?'

At that time, according to police, Berry was locked in the basement of his father's home.

'The house was always locked,' remembered Anthony, who appeared visibly tired but reacted with poise throughout the interview. 'There were places we could never go. There were locks on the basement. Locks on the attic. Locks on the garage.'

'House of horrors': Anthony Castro and his father stand in front of the door to the basement in 2001

'House of horrors': Anthony Castro and his father stand in front of the door to the basement in 2001

Family: A photo from the late 1990's shows Pedro Castro (top right) and his nephew Anthony (seated center)

Family: A photo from the late 1990's shows Pedro Castro (top right) and his nephew Anthony (seated center)

Ariel Castro, 52, was arrested with his two brothers, 54-year-old Pedro and 50-year-old Onil after Berry, now 26, dramatically escaped from the house on Monday, a decade after she vanished. 

Berry was rescued from the home, along with 23-year-old Gina DeJesus, who disappeared in April 2004 at age 14, and 32-year-old Michele Knight, who vanished in 2000 when she was 20.

The women and a six-year-old girl who was born to Berry while she was in captivity were whisked away to hospital. They have now been released and are in a safe location, authorities said.

Details have started to emerge of the horrors they experienced in the house, with authorities reportedly discovering chains and tape to restrain the girls inside the home.

Police sources also told NewsChannel5 that there were multiple pregnancies among the three women but that they suffered miscarriages after they were beaten or because they were so malnourished.

The Castros' close links to the long-running investigation have also emerged. Pedro Castro told a TV crew last July that a police forensic excavation being conducted in the neighborhood for Berry's body was 'a waste of time'.



 

More Articles